NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS
Harper Government Supports Canadian Families with Expanded Adoption Expense Tax Credit
Changing Your Lenses
What I Can Do Differently So That My Kids Will Behave Differently
- Does your child refuse to talk when you initiate a conversation during an emotional moment?
- Does your child consistently challenge your love for him/her?
- Does your child talk about going back to his/her birth country/family when angry with you?
- Does your child blame his/her sibling for conflict that he/she initiates?
- Does your child lie in response to seemingly ridiculous things?
- Does your child behave aggressively (e.g. kicking, screaming, hitting, spitting)?
- Does your child say ‘no’ to many of your requests?
Experiencing some or all of the above with your adopted child is not unusual. Your child is doing the best he/she can to survive in a significantly fearful state. The impact of trauma on children’s emotional/social brain is long lasting. A consistently loving and supportive environment is the only way they are going to surpass this terrified emotional state. The good news is that parents can make all the difference. It begins with a small, somewhat unconventional, change in the lenses with which you view your child and the power you have with your child.
We invite you to join Lori Rosove, adoption practitioner, counselor, educator, and author of Canadian bestseller, Rosie’s Family; An Adoption Story, to participate in an opportunity for learning how to change your lenses in order to evoke a change in your relationship with your child.
- Gain new insights into your child’s behaviour and your responses to his/her behaviour
- Boost your parenting confidence
- Learn powerful new approaches to create positive and lasting behavior change in your child’s behaviour
- Strengthen your positive parenting practices
- Examine real-life experiences that will illustrate the course concepts in action
- Partake in individual and group exercises to increase your parenting knowledge
- Gather with other adoptive parents to extend your support network
- Receive a 40 page course pack filled with powerful readings and activities that will enable you to strengthen your parenting tool box
Key concepts to be presented include:
Examine your strengths and challenges as a parent and recognize how your own fears may be influencing these.
- Scared Children Do Scary Things
Adopted children have a predisposition to attachment challenges due to early deprivation and/or sense of abandonment. Become aware of the primal emotions of love and fear and gain the understanding that your child’s negative behaviour is stemming from an unconscious sense of fear.
Step into your child’s world to understand his/her perceptions. Learn to understand his/her perceptions. What would happen if we saw our children as the teachers and ourselves as the students?
- Children Need Parental Love the Most When They Deserve it the Least
You cannot make your child better by making him/her feel worse. Examine your behaviour with your child, particularly with discipline and gain clarity on your choices.
- The Stress Model and the Impact of Stress and Trauma
Most children don’t have the opportunity to express, process, and understand traumatic events, and therefore, they communicate their pain through their behaviour. This behaviour cannot be changed through consequences, logic, or control.
- Counter Patterns of Negative Behaviour with Positive Responses. Stop the cycle!
What if you thought that you were the cause for chaos? Embrace your parenting power and engage it from a non-threatening and positively responsive place.
Workshop Dates: This unique learning opportunity will be offered over 3 Thursday sessions: January 24, 2013, January 31, 2013, and February 7, 2013.
Course Time: 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Fee: Each session is $50.00 per person or $125.00 for all three sessions.
Registration and workshop details: Please register at: http://www.adoptionottawa.ca/post-adoption-support-parenting-course.php or contact The Adoption Source at email@example.com.
Payment is due before workshops begin. Payment is accepted by cheque, made payable to Lori Rosove, and is to be mailed to the following address:
The Adoption Source
174 Bank Street
P.O. Box 71082